Wednesday 19 September 2018

The Balcony Seen

by Allison Symes

                                                       Bittersweet Tea


I felt their love pour into my soul.  A trumpet could’ve sounded near the two youngsters and they wouldn’t have noticed.  But on seeing the young man talking up to his girl on the balcony, I made myself stop and hide behind the roses climbing upon the wall of the girl’s home. 

I envied her.  When had someone last spoken words of love to me, yet alone words that almost seemed musical?  But the love kicked out my envy and I just hoped things would work out for these two.  Oh I knew who they were.  Some would say I should have spoken to the parents and stopped this.  No!  I hoped the love here could stop the stupid fighting. 

And as I listened on, I recalled my darling as he tried wooing me all those years ago.  He was nowhere near as eloquent as young Romeo but my love’s words were for me alone.  I treasured them then, I treasure them now.  He was taken from me five years ago now - and all I know of love now is the pain and emptiness when it has gone. 

I looked at Romeo and Juliet.  I wanted to cry out to them.  Make the most of this.  Make the most of NOW.  None of us knows how long we have here…
 
But they wouldn’t have heard me, even if I had. 

As for what happened later, I will always wonder if I did the right thing…

About the auhtor

Allison Symes is published by Chapeltown Books, Cafe Lit, and Bridge House Publishing amongst others.  She is a member of the Society of Authors and Association of Christian Writers.  Her website is www.allisonsymescollectedworks.wordpress.com and she blogs for Chandler’s Ford Today - http://chandlersfordtoday.co.uk/author/allison-symes/


No comments:

Post a Comment